Saturday, March 1, 2008

Comes In Like A Lion …

They say March either, comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb or visa-versa. Personally I like roller coasters but in theme parks and not in my life. Of course, in a perfect world, every day being mellow and predictable, would be easy for someone to follow a health food program but “man would that be a bore”! Therefore, we have months like March in our lives, unpredictable. Think about it, how many times are our days like March,... "unpredictable"? We start out with one plan and "boom" something happens that changes our direction. Often we start out in one kind of “head” (mood) and someone or something comes along and bingo! We all of a sudden have a new attitude, one of which is often not a good one.
Life has its difficulties and at times our plans do not work out.

This is life and thank God for it! Think of how boring life would be if nothing changed and everything worked as planned. Oh, I am not crazy about the rough times. I am human.
Health crisis, money problems, relationship conflicts, they all trouble me and often really can cloud my outlook. What I try to do is catch it when I can. I try to, as soon as possible, realize that I am allowing that situation to take control of my life rather than “me, myself” being in the drivers seat! If I let, the “problems” run the situation then I am just a passenger, in my own life and I have to go where I am taken. WELL NO MORE! I cannot allow myself to be a just passenger in my own life! I have to be the pilot! I have to be behind the wheel and I have to direct the path my life takes. Other wise I take the role of the victim and that does not work for me. I cannot let a bad situation run me (control me) longer than the moment I realize that it is happening.

I know if my life is to work, I have to work it and this is what seems to be working for me now!
Believe me I am not without problems, boy do I have my share of situations but they are in a pile and I try to handle them one at a time. Some I work out pretty well and some are in the pile a little longer. I know if I let them take over my life, if I constantly worry about money or health, if I try to be always right in an argument or try to figure out someone else’s ways, it could and will “drive me to eat”!
I do not need reasons to self-destruct and eat myself to oblivion.

I love life too much; I enjoy the little things that I am able to do again. It sounds corny but you do not realize what you have until you do not have it any more. I was homebound, bed bound, institutionalized for nearly 15 years. That is a long time. Prior to that my disease caused me to cut myself out of many things in my life and the lives of my loved ones.

Now that I am in my “twilight” years, I want to maximize every possible opportunity. I do what I need to do to get through each situation .... some times it is even writing on my blog!

Therefore my friends, do not let the garbage smell up your life. Throw it aside, throw it out and take the time to "smell the flowers". Get in the drivers seat and sore!
Have a great day …. You deserve it!

Love
Mike

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike
Once again you hit home. I have been reading your posts since the start and never felt that I wanted to comment. Yet reading "Comes In Like A Lion" you are talking about real things and you speak such truths. I just need to do as you say and not dwell on the nitches in my life and focus on the positives.
Mike thank you for your time and your great heart and don't ever stop blogging.

ever forever
Roberta

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike
I have been inspired by your story for years and yes maybe I can be called a fan! I read your blog today as I have in the past. I can't do it. Something happens in my life even the littlest thing and it is permission for me to binge. I don't mean too but I can't help it. I want to stay positive but sometimes I feel as if I am drowning! Give me some of your beautiful advice!
Thank you Mike
Deep admiration
Betty

Anonymous said...

Mike
I try very hard to stay positive and look at the glass as half full. It is not easy, life for me is rough. I have terrible illness and have had a horrible time in a relationship. There has been abuse! Food often is my peace of mind. I can not help it. I wish I could be a phony and say it is all peachy.
I thank you for your words they help a bit and all I can say is I will try.
Rose

Karon said...

I have heard your story before and have been reading your blog for a bit now. Having been trapped in my body for years now, I have to say that focusing on the positive is what matters most. I remember all too well how it felt when I couldn't do even the basic things for myself because of my weight. The struggle will continue but I will not be defeated, nor will you! God bless, Karon

Mike Hebranko said...

Hi Roberta
I want to wish you luck in your efforts. Just remember to be kind to yourself and patient and accent the positive!
All the best
Love
Mike

Mike Hebranko said...

Betty
Not a fan let's consider oursleves friends and brother and sister in battle. We can always find permission to eat. I find and have recently found that the same permission to binge I can now give myself the same permission to do something good for me. The same power. We have it. You have to believe!
So Betty I extend my hand to you and throw you a life jacket of love, Don't give up
Love ya
Mike
PS
Keep in touch

Mike Hebranko said...

Rose
My dear sweet Rose
As long as you try you can never fail!
Don't give up. I will keep you in my prayers for your health and for your peace of mind. You work on in at this end!
Love and happiness
Mike

Mike Hebranko said...

Thank you Karon
for your kind words and thoughts. I can see you have been through a lot and I respect your feelings and appreciate you sharing them with me (us). I hope too continue to hear from you. I believe that with the right attitude and support we can make it. 98% of the work is up to us. It is not easy but not impossible! Karon Good luck to you in your life and I hope to cross paths with you again.
Deep Love and respect
Mike

Mike Hebranko said...

Karon
how did you do the picture? It amazes me that so many of you people are so good with these computers, I am such a novice!
Mike

Anonymous said...

you think you are a novice at computers? you are one of the first people i knew who even had a computer black and white and i was so intrigued with it but being that i was 550lbs at the time ,i only had time for food, it embarreses me to say that even after losing 300 plus pounds i still let lifes situations make me turn to food, it still is a reward for me and that pisses me off. i am gratful to have u in my life. love stacey

Mike Hebranko said...

Sweet Stacey
You lost over 300lbs and although that was not easy, that really is the easiest part of our journey. Changing a lifetime of habits and behaviors takes more than 3 to 5 years. It takes tiny steps, it takes many successful choices and yes even some not so successful ones. Do not be too pissed of at that wonderful person (you) she has accomplished a lot. She needs a lot of delicate handling and lots of love and little judgment. She has had enough judgment in her life! Now is the time for patience, love (self-love) and lots of praise. No, do not be pissed off but rather understand that this is all in the process of life. In life, the road is sometimes bumpy. If we are smart we take the bumps (learn from them if we can) and then we get to enjoy the smooth open clear free spaces. Life is beautiful and nature creates beauty, remember nature had a big part in your creation!
Be patient with yourself, appreciate your miraculous accomplishments and be cautious but be wise. Good luck you special lady …
Love
Mike

senorziltox said...

I've found that in some relationships, especially with one of my best friends of the past 35 years, that I've had to learn how to speak up when I think someone is overly projecting their own problems on my situation, one of my friends in particular, had little awareness of what I had been through at Brookhaven in the past couple of years, and what it means to be grappling with food addiction, and an addictive personality period, but I come to realize that this part of a skill that I have to learn, to be proactive in telling someone to stop projecting their negative experiences with the world on me, that I need to mend to my own rhythm, not someone else's. and at least make that person who is projecting that I am neither a mirror or a sponge, I thought I'd share that with you. Regards, TZ

Anonymous said...

Well i am back to blogging after having real life set me back a bit....I read Come in like a Lion a few times to actually grasp it...well if i didnt let real life get me and i dint turn to food i would not be in the spot i am in today...i might be happy and not wishing and wanting so much..but i know in time it will come together again patience is what i keep telling myself but boy oh boy i sure dont have that...i have watched over the years through your organization and others so many people succeed so many fail and yet we still fight which shows me one thing we are not quitters that no matter what it takes we can do this...right now i am looking into the lap band surgery but due to health issues i do not know if i am a candidate so that wil be another obstacle to overcome as well...hugggs Mike and i am very lucky to have you n my life for these many years...love you Carol

Mike Hebranko said...

Hi Carol
First let me get one thing clear, we are both (all) lucky to have each other in our lives. We support each other. When one is down and needs a lift there is someone's arm out there for them. Then when you might be in a little deep I might be there for you. That is what support is, that is what friendship is about.
Next thing we are where we are in our lives because we are a total of all our life experiences. Good and bad, ups and downs they are our own. We have to go with it and make the best of it. You are doing the best you can and you are learning about yourself as you go, that is a good thing!
Continue to grow (emotionally) and learn and be patient with you.
Good Luck my dear friend, I believe in you!
Love
Mike

Mike Hebranko said...

Dear TZ
Sometimes our oldest, closest, and long time friends, are the last to understand our problem. We have two choices, love them be patient and hang in there until they come around or love them and you move on for your own good. It is not an easy choice. Just remember what is important in your life!
Your close dear friend
Love ya
Mike

Anonymous said...

Dear Friend Mike
I don't even know you except through the media but I feel I can call you friend. I love your words and writings. You have been an ispiration to many over the years I am sure. I know I can speak for myself, you have helped me keep my head above water so many times. I have been trying your K.I.S.T. method I have lost 18 pounds and yes there are those days that it seems emotionally I am not going to make it. I have read "Comes In like a Lion" you are so right we can not let the rough times take over our focus. I am taking notice of those bad moments and trying to snap out of them before I do damage.
Mike never stop speaking or writing would love to meet you some day.
Dani
California

Mike Hebranko said...

Dear Dani of California,
First let me say it is my pleasure to have you call me friend and now let me say ...WOW!!! 18 pounds that is so great! Even more important that you, and many of us are really working on appreciating the good things that life gives to us each day. Dani, keep up the great work and attitude. I too look forward to meeting you some day.
All the best ...
Love
Mike

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael
I Think that you are brave and a real inspiration to anyone who needs to continue to move forward. I don't know how you really do it sharing and helping so much but I thank you.
I have a question. I am enjoying this feelings series that you are writing about and the loneliness and anger are really difficult for me.
I can not handle the anger and it really bothers me. I want it not to bother me and I will try.
Your wisdom helps and thank you
I respect you
Regards
Dana